Page 3 - Continued



normal semester courses in six weeks. It wasn't all work. I was able to go to Austin two or three times to church. I met a girl, who lived on campus, at the local Baptist church. I don't remember her first name. Her last name was Titsworth. She lived with her family on campus.

Mr. Titsworth was in charge of buildings and grounds for the college. The Titsworth family invited my sister Madaleen to come for a visit when school was out. Our mother let Madaleen who was not yet sixteen years old travel by herself the eight hundred miles on the bus to stay with people she had never met. I arranged to get off to meet the bus the afternoon she arrived but she must have been on a different bus for I missed her. She was able on her own to find the Titsworth residence and was quite comfortably moved in before I found her.

The army had begun to get criticism from the citizenry because many young men were being drafted while those who had signed up for the air corps were still at home going to school. This, I believe, is why we were called up and put through basic training under such crowded conditions then sent to school while in the army, yet awaiting space in the flying schools.



In July we were shipped farther down in Texas to San Antonio to the Aviation Cadet Classification Center. This was a part of Kelly Field but we never saw any airplanes or even any runways or hangers. We spent several days of intensive testing to determine whether we would enter pilot school, navigator training, or bombardier training. We all wanted to become pilots, of course, so there were some disappointed people when they learned that they were being assigned as navigators or bombardiers. I had never expected that I would be able to really become a pilot, even from the beginning, so I was never disappointed. It was here that it was determined that I would be going to multi-engine school, which I had requested.

Once the classification process was complete we started two months of ground school for the direction we were headed. This covered everything from theory of flight to aircraft recognition and Morse code. At the end of this two months there still wasn't room in the flying schools for all of us so my class was held over in its entirety for another month. This was the first inclination I had that we just might be surplus. This extra month at the Cadet Center was most boring. The only things we had to do were PE, aircraft recognition, and Morse code. The food at the center had never been as good as at Sheppard Field or San Marcos and this third month it deteriorated further. We were non-productive personnel and were treated like it.


The food was so bad that most of us began eating at the PX and not even going to the mess hall. I did learn during this month of being on hold that some cadets had been sent to flight schools near their


Back to Top